Answered By: Pamela Perry
Last Updated: May 15, 2017     Views: 277

Instructors often request that you use research from scholarly or "academic" journals. Articles in journals  present in-depth, original research in a specific field of study. These articles have been reviewed by other scholars in the field for scholastic standards and validity. Professional journals may also contain profession or industry-related news. Sometimes these articles are called "peer-reviewed." 

Scholarly articles differ from more popular articles available in magazines and newspapers. If you are unsure whether a publication is popular or scholarly, refer to the chart, "Is it a Magazine or a Journal?"

Most scholarly articles are not available on the Web. Instead, try the library databases EBSCOhost and JSTOR.

There are also a number of subject specific databases that also contain scholarly articles such as Science in Context, Health & Wellness Resource Center, Literature Resource Center, PsycArticles, and more. For a complete list of databases by subject, use the Databases by Subject page.



Can't find the answer? Submit an email question.

Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.