Answered By: Pamela Perry
Last Updated: May 06, 2015     Views: 1011

The library does not purchase textbooks for student use. However, many instructors place the class textbook on RESERVE in the library for student use. In most cases, the textbooks must be used in the library.

To find out if your textbook is on reserve in the library, you will first need to know the last name of your instructor and the course number (for example COMM 101).  

Then use the library catalog to search for reserve materials.

There are two types of reserve items, OPEN RESERVES and CLOSED RESERVES


Open reserves indicate that the reserve item is shelved in the library and may be used in the library for up to 2 hours. Open reserve shelves are located near the check-out desk at both the San Elijo and Oceanside campuses. Items are arranged on the shelves by class subject (for example BIOL or ENGL. Ask for assistance at the Circulation/Check-out Desk.)


Closed reserves are located behind the Circulation/Check-out Desk. Closed reserve items must be checked out for use in the library. You must present an MCC ID with the current semester sticker, or a "proof of enrollment" document printed from your SURF account (along with a current picture ID).


Can't find the answer? Submit an email question.

Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.